Thursday, April 8, 2010

Workin' Girl: Starting Over

I think that sounds like the title of a book or something. Like the series is called "Working Girl" and this is the 3rd book in the series, with the first two being "Dream Job" and "The New Boss" haha.

So today I went through 86th Services orientation again. I just did it 2 months ago, so it was pretty fresh...which made today pretty boring. 8 AM - 2:30 PM - it was basically like one huge AFN commercial. And the people in the class with me were...interesting. There was one woman who was in her 40's who had worked with services before and seemed kind of confused about who was running the class - when people would ask the instructor questions, this woman would answer. And in case any of us were in doubt of how well she knew all the inner workings of EVERYTHING, she would interrupt the instructor during her explanations and nod knowingly while saying things like "yup" or "that's right" or "mmhm" to EVERYTHING that was said in the class. I'm a nice person, so of course I would never say anything...but there were a few times that I could tell the instructor was annoyed, and more than a few times that I was tempted to say "please...we get it. You've been through this. Could you just shut up?" The class got very comfortable, I guess, because towards the end people were just having random outbursts of personal stories that were littered with expletives. Really?? They all came across as SO low class...why do people talk like that? Especially in that kind of environment. But whatever. I was pretty quiet for most of the time - bored + tired = not as likely to participate. Plus the instructor recognized me and before every knew section would say "Now I know this is old news for you, Jessica, but bare with me" which would lift any obligation on my part to participate in the question/answer section since that would be unfair to those who had never been through the process before. At least...that's the excuse I used.

My fingernails are so long!! They have been growing like crazy ever since we moved here, I swear. It makes it hard to type, but usually I'm too lazy to go get the clippers. Maybe I should just see how long I can get them before they break haha.

Anyway, when we got done, I went straight over to JR Rockers to do some more in processing stuff. I pretty much bolted as soon as orientation was over even though I knew one of the girls in the class wanted to talk to me or something after. Here's my problem - I'm really friendly. I'll strike up random conversation and I'm good at looking and sounding interested. The problem is, it's usually not because I'm actually interested in forming any kind of long-lasting bond with a person. More likely, it's because I have nothing better to do. If I had ANYTHING else to occupy myself with, I would. So, as is often the case, the girl took a liking to me and wanted to be friends IRL or something...and I definitely wasn't interested. So...I just left in a hurry haha. It's funny, though, because earlier this week when I went in to turn in paper work, the girl I ended up dealing with had anime-style drawings all over her wall. We struck up a conversation and believe it or not, I actually AM interested in forming some kind of long-lasting bond with her! I hope we hang out and do stuff (anime party? cosplay party? some kind of party?) together. It's been a while since I've been interested in making a friend, so I hope I don't blow this by being distant and ignoring her haha!

Anyway, so over at JR Rockers, I had to read and sign a ton of papers, but I couldn't finish doing whatever it was I needed to do because the manager was in a meeting or something. Now I get to go back tomorrow morning. I don't care, though - I was ready to leave. I've been SO tired all day! I'm also really sore! I've been KILLING myself lately with work outs. I can barely lift my arms and every time I sit up, my stomach muscles scream at me! And lets not forget my legs! So stiff and sore waaaaaaah!!! It's good, though. Love the pain, right?? If I can keep this up for the next 6 weeks, I'll be in great shape when Regan gets back from Iraq!!

Anyway, I'm super tired and I think I'll try to nap for a little bit before Regan gets home.

No comments:

Post a Comment